Chicago entry in Carrera Panamerican race

    A 1960 Giulietta Sprint, 101 series, race-prep'd by Besic Motorsports,
has just left the Glen Ellyn, IL shop for its cross country journey to
southern Mexico to compete in this year's Carrera Panamerican race at the end
of this month.  The car will be piloted by Martin Hancock, with navigator
Patrick Bowling, both Chicago residents.  Crew Chief, Mike Besic, and Ken
Smoot will provide mechanical support throughout the 10-day, 2100 mile rallye.
    The car features a heavily modified 1750 with twin 40mm Webers, 11mm cams
and big valves and built for maximum performance on premium pump gas.  The
head has been ported and polished.  Centerline headers, remote oil filter and
remote oil cooler have also been installed.  The Veloce sump is protected by
a custom-made 1/4" thick aluminum bash pan. The drivetrain features a late
model 5-speed transmission, 2.0 limited slip rearend with adjustable trailing
links.  Brakes are late model 2.0 disc brakes, front and rear.  The 15 X 5.5"
wheels are TZ replicas.  The car also features a full chrome moly rollcage,
rallye computer and helmet communications between driver and navigator.
    Patrick (the navigator) intends to e-mail periodic reports to me at the
end of each day's stage (technology permitting!) to be posted on Chicago
AROC's website.  If the members are interested, I would be happy to forward
these reports to the List.  Next best thing to being there, I guess.
Otherwise, they can read the story at caroc.com.... as soon as the link is
set up.

Darren (wishing he could squeeze in just one more vacation) Besic
'57 Giulietta Spider hotrod