Re: prancing horses

In Griffith Borgeson's "The Alfa Romeo Tradition" gives some info, but not
much about the Baracca emblem.  On June 17, 1923, Ferrari (by now an alfa
team member) entered an RL TF in a new race.. the Circuito del Savio, near
Ravenna.  Apparently a nothing little race that he entered mostly because it
was close by his "neighborhood".  it was the first win of his career, and
according to Ferrari, this was when he met the count & countess Baracca "who
he said suggested that he use the prancing colt emblem of their famous
fighter pilot son."

Other sources suggest that the emblem was not the Baracca's to give.  The
design was the emblem of Baracca's squadron.  According to pinninfarina,
ferrari's brother Alfredo met his death in service to the same squadron in
WWI.  Baracca's mother suggested that Ferrari adopt the symbol as a sign of
good luck (I can't imagine why this woudl be considered a sign of good luck).
Ferrari claimed to have a letter from the family "in which they entrust the
horse to me".  After he reversed the direction the horse faced, altered the
fine detail, and changed the background from white to yellow, he adopted the
emblem as his own.

alfa romeo ben berry berry good to enzo.
andy