Re: Newby to Alfas looking to purchase 76 GTV

 John Holliday , on Sunday, asked,

<<76 GTV in what appears to be pristine condition. It has about 28,000
miles and NO RUST! It has never seen winter weather, being stored in a
conditioned garage.  What other things should I be concerned about and
carefully check out on this car. I am curious about the fuel injection
as well as availability of parts for this car. Also can the list members
give a range of what this car might be worth.>>

As the owner of a 76 Alfetta GT, let me try my hand at this.

FIRST - Make sure ALL of the rubber pieces are OK.
   Donuts/giubos (did I get that right?)
   Motor mounts - all three of them
   Trans mounts in the back
   Drive shaft center support!!!  -  This may be NLA from the factory.
When mine went away a couple of years ago it took a mighty search to
find one.  It is NOT the same as a later model Alfetta, or the GTV6
part.
   Is the shift linkage OK?  It can get rattly with age and may need new
bushing(s)
   Fuel injection is important, esp if the car needs to meet smog, as in
Calif.  Others can better tell you what to look for.  BEWARE$$  A
rebuilt SPICA injection pump is serious money.

Parts have been, generally, available.  On the west coast we have Alfa
Parts in Berkeley CA.  For used, and some new, there is always APE.

I would be hard pressed to give an objective valuation of the car.  I
have seen asking prices as low as $900, and as high as $4000.  In very
good shape, I would think an Alfetta GT should be worth $2000, maybe
$2500.  There are way too many variables to consider, though.  Location,
overall condition, WHO is doing the buying, and selling, for that
matter.

You did not mention that it was an Alfetta GT, or GTV, but here in the
good ol' USofA, there were no 75 Alfas, and all 76 were/should have been
Alfettas.  This is what I have been told, and I accept it as OK.

A blast to drive, btw.  Not as nimble as the 105/115, but comfy enough
with a more compliant suspension.  Any mods, and all bets are off.

my tuppence
Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California