Spider power windows

Hello you all alfisti,

A few weeks ago I posted here the question how to repair my power window,
driver's side.

At first I needed a diagram how the wire is routed at the inner side of the
door. And thanks to Mr. Jarman who send me some pages of the shop manual I
started this job.

Sunday I started pulling the doorcover and demounting de motor and
cable-roller. This took not to long, say about half an hour. After I
loosened the screws from the motor mount I had to lossen also the screws
which hold the cable to the window, so I could freely move the cable around.

After getting the motor and the cable-roller loose from the door I
discovered the problem. The cable is a twisted steel one and just one of the
single pieces wasn't broken.

Because allmost everything was dismounted (at least related to the window) I
dismounted the two metal cable-holders from the glass itself and could by
the way clean the complete window.

I ended up with a dismounted motor and the broken cable. Monday I called the
dealer asking what this spare part would cost and whow! what an expensive
part: cable and cable-roller cost (together cannot buy separate) about 140
EURO! (I guess about the same in dollars!). The only part I have to replace
is the steel cable, so my next trip is to the bicycle-shop, see If they have
them. The cable is about 3 meters (10 foot) long.

Because it's one cable, running to one side pulls the window down, pulling
to the other side pulls the window up. This has the effect you start with
some windings on the left side of the cable-roller and after moving the
window you end up with those windings on the right side of the cable-roller.
But how much of them. So after all I have to open up the Passengers door to
see how it looks there. TIP: I made before and after pictures with my
digital camera.

So next weekend we see how things will go on.

If you guys (ok, girls too) are interested I could publish the pictures I
made on my website, for those who have to do these things in the future.

On the other hand, I'm now seriously interested in a shop manual, paper or
electronically (scans)! Any sources?

To be continued!! (At least if people are interested).

Hans J. Siemensma
146 1.6 IEL 1996 & Spider 2.0 1990 (The Art Of The Machine).