liner protrusion / con rod balance / +

Biba's comments to Jim Steck's comments regarding my original comments to
Bruce
Giller regarding the 'proper' (??) degree of anality when rebuilding a 2
liter
Alfa Street engine.

*********

Jim, thanks for taking the time to reply to my comments on the Digest
regarding
the rebuilding of an Alfa 2 liter Street engine.

Certainly not to get into a pissing contest here. I have not the slightest
doubt everything you commented on is correct for a Racing engineespecially a
highly (as in turbo / supercharged) modified one.

I've rebuilt more than a handful of 2 liter Street Alfa engines and it is
extremely rare the bottom end ever indicates undue stress or even significant
wear. The few 'bottom ends' with fairly major problems had obviously been
poorly maintained, indicated by the amount of sludge in the block and oil
pan.
That said, bet, as a street engine, they still would have gone on for many
miles to come.

As a racing engine they would have done well to make one lap or straight line
run.

I've certainly printed out your comments to include in my files. They might
well come in handy one day should I be involved with an Extremely 'hot' 2
liter. This will go in the same file with emails between a fellow in
Australia
whose company makes mono-block (?) liners for the 2 liter.

I'm aware of forged slipper pistons, Carello rods, and other go fast (and
strong) goodies, but will readily admit I'm not aware of all the necessary
Racing machining 'tricks' to make it all live under Extreme duress.

My main reason for replying on the Digest is to keep those who are rebuilding
nice Sunday driver street engines (or might be in the future) from
overstressing themselvesas opposed to their 'bottom end'.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

I've had emails with Bruce and it is obviously extremely rewarding for him to
'sweat the details'. For many, it is mainly rewarding to get the rebuilt
engine
back in the car (ASAP) and simply running (well) once again.