GTV speedo drive

The speedo on my GTV has finally died completely.
I replaced the cable in the hope that that was the problem, but the old
cable was still in good shape, and the new cable did nothing to solve
the problem, as it is not being turned by the mechanism in the
transmission.

I suspect that the drive in the transmission still functions, but that
the square hole which the cable fits into has been 'wallered' (remember
that thread?) out.
My question is whether a repair or replacement to this mechanism is
possible, and whether the transmission would have to come apart in order
to access it?

Anyone ever just JB weld the cable into place?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Peter Kemos
credentials:
Santa Cruz