Re: Milano trunk trim

Tim Mills asked about removing Milano trunk trim, and Charlie Koster replied
that "For trim that is merely glued on the surface (no rivets or such), you
can use a fairly fine wire and "garrotte" the trim away from the surface."

In my experience trim which is merely glued on the surface (via a thin layer
of foam) responds well to 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, (08984)
supplied in a quart can with a needle-point nozzle which works well for
applying along the top edge and letting it wick in while applying gentle (like
with fingernails) outward pressure on the badge. The 3M product is generally
available from bodyshop suppliers but is also carried by Griot's. Probably
other adhesive solvents would work as well, but this minimizes the "probably"
factor.

3M also makes a vinyl stripe remover (08987, thick-bodied to stay on vertical
surfaces)  and a Release Agent (08971) to (among other things) soften the bond
on glued-in windshields. Lots of other interesting products too.

 If somebody knows whether the Milano trunk badging (other than the center
round marque badge, which doesn't bother me) is bonded on or mechanically
fastened I would be interested. I assumed it was bonded but then I understood
that a friend had paid a bodyshop to remove his, fill the holes and refinish
the trunk (which doesn't necessarily mean they actually did the work they
charged for - ) I could check on mine, but would rather not force the buttons
which hold the lid-liner in place.

 Thanks-

 John H.