Milano rear brakes

I finally got the chance to change the rear brake pads on my Milano Platinum
today. Interesting job. Specially, with the self leveling suspension. Not to
mention that I have some really big guns (19 inch biceps w/ Popeye forearms).
The myriad of suspension pieces have left me with Alfa rash on my arms.  With
the help of Mr. Damm's and Mr. Sikland's websites, the job was almost a
breeze.  Also, thanks go out to Gary Krumian for the Axxis pads at a great
price.  Luckily, the adjusters all worked and everything came apart with only
a few cuss words. (pins were a little stubborn).
          Now a small problem that has popped up recently. My speedo has been
acting up lately. It works for short time, maybe a mile or two, then quits.
After a while it will come back to life. Sometimes for the rest of the trip,
sometimes for only a short while. The longer you drive, the longer it stays
working. I have driven a 200 mile trip and it worked for 190 miles. Short
trips its a pain in the rump. (50%) While this can be great for not racking
up mileage, the fuel mileage calculations suck. ;-)
         My question is this; is this more of a speed sensor/ generator or a
gauge problem. I have had the dash apart and inspected the gauge cluster. All
the plastic and terminals were spotless. everything was in its place and
hooked up. This is the ONLY problem I have with the dash or the A.R.C.
center. ( Blessed with a good one I guess) . Right now I am running off the
tach for speed.  ( + or - 5 mph) But I would have to list the mileage as T.
M. U.  (true mileage unknown) if and when I sell it. so far it is only off a
few hundred miles.Thanks in advance.
Tim Timko
88 Milano Platinum