From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Charles Slayman
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 2:38 PM
To: jessl@domain.elided
Cc: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: Re: 75 driveshaft balancing again

Jess,
	I have no experience with the Alfa transaxle cars, so I'm not an expert
(and I think as the other Charlie would say, "Haven't played one on TV
either."
Or was it Will that said it?  I get our Pasadena clan confused.)  The fact
that
the vibration comes and goes is highly suspicious.  A balance problem is
stable.
 Either it's balanced or not.
	I would start looking at alignment issues.  First, in the driveshaft
flanges and fingers that bolt to the guibo (did I get it right this time
John?)
But again, any bent flanges would give a fixed vibration problem.  If the
vibration is truely variable from day to day, then the only thing I can
think of
that would change would be the alignment of the engine with the transaxle.
don't recall any torque tube or torque arm on the GTV6/Milano.  Is it
possible
that the load in the car can effect the alignment of the transaxle with the
engine?  As more weight is put in the car, is there any stress coupled to
the
mounting bushings?  The weight you have in the car might vary from day to
day
and this is the only thing I can think of that would explain why the
vibrations
would come and go.
	You might want to look for vibration with nothin in the car.  Then load
it up with a ton of stuff and drive it again.  Any changes in vibration?  I
know
I can detect a u-joint going in my Spider easier with no weight.  Then when
load it up, the problem appears to go away (but not for long!)

Good Luck,
Charlie