Broken Transmissions??

My racing Montreal chewed two transmissions over the weekend.

The first retired with the symptom of when the transmission is under load
either from the engine under acceleration or drive-train on deceleration the
gear selection becomes impossible.  (Locks out in neutral)  You can find the
gears as normal when coasting or stationary.

The second appears to have broken the middle selector shaft for 2nd and 3rd
gear as it now moves freely with no resistance (and no gear selection)  We
did remove the tail shaft of the first gearbox above to notice that the 4th
and 5th selection shaft has been welded up before, hence or conclusion it
could be the same problem. (albeit a different selector shaft).

Also, both boxes have problems selecting first gear which we thing is
unusual for both to have the same problem.  Is it easy to get the gear stick
and selector alignment not right which causes this problem?

Are there any common faults with either of the problems described above or
has anyone had similar problems before that they can share there experiences
and/or resolutions with me??

Also our LSD isn't working as a LSD, can these be re-shimmed or repaired??

Regards
Phil.