Re: Rear Window Defroster

Brian Asks

<Looking for some info on the rear defroster for my 164. The pattern of
defrosting starts with a three-wire band a third of the way up from the rear
deck, eventually clearing a stripe right up the center of the glass. It
doesn't seem to do anything at all for the balance of the glass. Any know
causes for this? Can it be corrected?>

This is caused by elements in the window burning out and breaking the current
flow, but do not despair, there is a low cost fix.

Do you still have Radio Shack in the US. I ask this as their sister outfit in
the UK Tandy has sold out and shut down. They sell little bottles of current
conducting paint .What you have to do is get really close to the elements on
the inside of the glass and find the darkened bits where the element has
failed. Then follow the instructions and carefully paint in the gaps with your
Radio Shack conductive paint. Give it time to dry and voila, your rear heater
element should work again. It may take one or two goes as some of the failed
sections can be difficult to spot first time, but you soon get the hang.

If it is one of those with the elements inside the glass sandwich then it will
not help I am sorry to say.

good luck

Tim Hancock  164TS Lusso   Boston UK

p.s. on my travels round deepest Lincolnshire this afternoon I came across a
run down garage business for sale (Not far from what in the fifties was USAF
East Kirkby). In the window was a reasonable condition Jensen Interceptor Mk2
with an expired tax disc dated 1992. If I owned an oil well I'd be seriously
interested.