Pumpkin 164 L comments

Price is very subjective as there were very few cars sold in Canada (about
a dozen in Calgary over the four model years (three really as there were no
93 sold)). I value my 91 L with the same mileage at about CAN$8,000.00 but
it isn't for sale at that price! I still have it in part because the market
always undervalues the car. if you buy this one you'll see what i mean.
There is no more civilized sports sedan available in Canada.

The clutch pedal is likely the clutch line damper failing. It can be
removed without ill effect. This gizmo prevents you from dumping the
clutch, you wouldn't do that anyway would you to a ten year old car 8-). It
might be the flex line to the clutch starting to delaminate. Or possibly
the clutch master cylinder on the way out. None of these is costly enough
to affect the price or desirability of this car. Ironically, a new clutch
with new slave often hastens the demise of the MC, I can't imagine why but
there you go.

Timing belt is specified at 90,000 km but no one I know is brave enough to
go that far! The key is that the belt was changed before it broke. You
won't wait that long. 70,000 km ( 42,000 miles) is plenty. Some will say
even less is safer. Well, changing it every week would be pretty well
guaranteed not to break... you get the idea. My mechanic says age is more
important than mileage as you get towards the end of T belt life. So, the
rule of thumb is 6 years or 70,000 km for a new T belt. A new water pump
and tensioner is also recommended, but I think this is a holdover from the
Milano days which had less durable tensioners and water pumps. I intend to
do these this fall on mine on the theory that at least every other T belt
change should involve a water pump and tensioner. Some people think the
rubber belt cam drive replacement as a routine maintenance item is an
unacceptable idea, touting steel roller chains for their durability. I
disagree.  Steel is tough, but you aren't supposed to need to change them.
When the engine gets old or high mileage you end up debating with yourself
about whether that steel chain is too worn or not. There are disadvantages
and advantages to both. Given that the valve clearances should be checked
routinely there really isn't a cost or durability penalty to rubber belt
cam drives. After all the average high mileage car rarely gets driven more
than 200,000 km which represents two T belt changes. And it doesn't change
the total cost to do them at 70,000 km instead of 90,000km. After all, no
one wants to junk a car with a new T belt just installed!

As for the sewing machine sound...you of course are thinking industrial
strength sewing machine. That ticketa ticketa is a necessary sound. A quiet
Alfa 6 is one with valves about to be burned! If the valve train noise
starts to sound more like hammers on valve stems then maybe it's time to
check those exhaust clearances, the intakes almost never go out of
adjustment. Otherwise the ticketa ticketa is just music to an Alfisti's
ears. As is that ripping of raw silk sound every time you stand on the gas
in the lower gears... mmmmm good.

Buy it, you'll love it.

164 Tech discussion Web Site address is:

/alfa/FAQ/164/bin/dcforumlite.cgi

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta