Re: GTV 6 steering wheel removal

The steering wheel in my '82 GTV 6 was certainly not fun to remove.  I used
a proper puller (Sears I think), and obtained the appropriate diameter of
threaded rod to put through the holes, being unable to find a local supplier
of long metric bolts.  I was concerned that the threaded rods might strip,
but what actually happened was that the holes in the wheel stripped out
instead.

The obvious course of action was then to drill them out and tap them for the
3/8 inch bolts which came with the puller.  This worked like a charm.
However, I might have been able to avoid the problem altogether if I had had
the presence of mind to give the puller a good whack with a BFH (big hammer
:-), as Jim Barrett suggested.  The usual alternative, the blue wrench, is
not appropriate in this situation due to the close proximity of the plastic
cover.

Dave J.
1987 Milano Verde
1982 GTV6 (late and much lamented)