Re: Emissions...The saga continues.

Fred,
	I'm wondering if you've ruptured your brake diaphragm.  That might
explain the white smoke if the engine is sucking in brake fluid that has leaked
past the master cylinder into the diaphragm.  Leaking brake fluid will cause the
diaphragm to fail.  The brake light comes on if the fluid in the reservior is
low (check it) or (I think) if there is an imbalance in the circuit pressure
(this should be unrelated to your problem).  Can't explain why the water light
would come on.
	Anyway, remove the brake vacuum line from the checkvalve on the
manifold.  There should be a large hissing sound from the release of vacuum.
Suck on the line (but don't ingest any fluid!  Elevate it from the diaphragm!)
But your thumb over the hose and make sure the diaphragm holds vacuum.  If it
does not, then it is leaking.  If it is leaking, then this is a HIDDEN VACUUM
LEAK that will cause one or more cylinder to run lean!  Hmmmm......
	Plug the check valve and drive the car without the vacuum booster.  Be
careful, you don't have power assist on the brakes.  Now see if the popping goes
away under braking.
	I remember as a "wet behind the ears" junior in autoshop, we had a brand
new Dodge Coronet from one of the high school teacher in for diagnosis.  Our
autoshop instructor was a real genius.  But this car had everyone stumped, even
the local dealer.  It had a slight miss at idle and nobody could track it down.
The car ran OK, but it was bugging the teacher.  It was at the dealer several
times and into autoshop class many more times.  Finally our instructor tracked
it down to an internal vacuum leak in the brake booster!  From that day on, I
was in awe of his troubleshooting skills.

Good Luck,
Charlie