Re: alfa-digest V8 #95

alfa@domain.elided writes:
>Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:19:01 -0400
>From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Pulling Transaxle and Wobbly Shifter
>
>Lalo,
>
>	I haven't removed the transaxle yet, but I don't believe it is that
>hard...  I don't think you need deal with the deDion.   You do need to
>disconnect the brake line, the emergency brake cable, the drive shaft
>and clutch line.   After that there's just the bolts at the front
>crossmember and the rear gearbox (trunion?) mount.   You probably need
>to disconnect the shift linkage too...   You might need to drop the
>exhaust to get at it, if you want to disconnect it at the shifter.  It's
>pretty straight forward... that's probably why it doesn't get much
>coverage in the shop manual.

I have yet to replace my clutch but I always drop the dedion when I change
the donuts.  You have to lower the middle exhaust.  I loosen the nuts that
hold it to the exhaust header but support it underneath with a jack.   I
do not think you want to put a lot of weigh on those header bolts.  I dont
remove the nuts. I try to keep work to a minimum.  The car is on jack
stands.  You could take the middle section off if you want  to be safe but
that is more work.  The only thing I have disconnected in lowering the
dedion is the electrical wiring to the back up switch.  As you lower it ,
you can check to see that nothing is being strained.  You mentioned you
have a lift.  To lower the dedion, u need a jack under the tube.  You may
need to keep the car low to the ground.