Cranking but no sound (continued)

The first symptom was cranking but no sound of fuel pump or buzzers or light.

The second symptom was the car died, then restarted immediately

The third symptom was smoke coming out from under the dashboard.

If you guessed it. The cause was the electrical connector from the ignition
switch. It got so hot it started to melt the insulation and the connector.
Fortunately, smoke but no fire.

Problem (I believe!). I added driving lights  in March which were powered
from a source past the ignition switch. The connector was very brittle and
one of the wires was loosely connected.

Solution (I hope!). For $5 I bought a relay and wired the lights directly
from the connector in the engine compartment. The lights are much brighter
now and the fuse box does not get warm. Anything else I add will get  the
same treatment.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Brian Pleet
82 Spider
Halifax, NS