What is inside an exhaust system?

This may seem a little strange, but what is inside an exhaust system?  The
reason I ask is after driving home from work I noticed some long fibres
hanging out the rear exhaust pipe.  They were long strands a few feet in
length.  I am not sure if someone put them inside the exhaust or I collected
the contents of the exhaust.

If someone had stuffed this stuff inside, could there be any potential damage
caused by having a partially blocked system?

Steven
164 TS (1993)
Cumbria UK