balance of nature

In a message dated 09/27/2001 8:20:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The BW is particularly concerned about the reliability of, and
> maintenance expenses for, a 30-year old Alfa.
>
> Dan in Honolulu

As well she should be.  If maintenance and its costs are the main concern,
forget an older Alfa (older anything) and get something reliably new,
Japanese, and boring.

If other considerations are truly more important, the costs of maintaining an
older car (should be an Alfa) won't really matter, that will be what you are
willing to pay in time and $ for being conveyed in style.  Side note: you can
probably buy, restore, and fix a Gulia Super Ti for many years for the
new-car cost of a plain Toyota or Nissan.

But, what can you do with an Alfa in HI anyhow?  I drove on Oahu, the Big
Island, and (mostly) Kauai, and there is no place I recall you can open a car
up to more than 45 mph.  In these circumstances, you have to ask if an older
Alfa, with carbs yet, would be happy.

So, put yourself aside for a moment and consider the wa of you BW, your
state, and the potential Alfa as you reflect on the sagacity of your choice.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA