age v beauty?

In a message dated 09/27/2001 8:20:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I've owned a 1984 GTV6 which, due to its age, needed some "refreshing".  No
> real
> complaints about that car other than it had past its prime.
>
> I still drive my 1988 Milano 3.0V6.  Again, quite reliable apart from that
> ABS pump that
> sometimes overheats (motor continues to run as it cavitates).
>
> Can't say the 164 is anything like the latter two.  Maybe it's just newer,
> but my gut
> feel is it's going to be quite a trooper.

I hate to bring this up in such distinguished company, but let's face it,
even though we may complain that cars (Alfas included) have gotten less
distinctive or exciting or individualistic recently, the facts seem to show
that they have gotten consistently and sometimes dramatically better over
time, and to me especially in the past 30 years or so.

Much as I love my 84 GTV6 for all its strengths and beauties, it is no match
for a modern car, even those of a lesser heritage.  I think the new cars are
way ahead on points such as fuel efficiency, smog, electrical/lights, brakes,
ergonomics (in most cases), and some of the materials.  There are "common"
problems or complaints with older cars (complaints that date even from when
these older cars were new) that you just don't hear about on modern cars.
Materials seem better, too (although of course when it is a contest between
better and merely cheaper, cheaper wins out even in some expensive marques).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA