oily exhaust gaskets

I removed the exhaust manifold from my '86 spider quad last night, and was
surprised to find that the head-to-manifold gaskets were very oily,
especially on the head side and particularly on the #4 cylinder, the pipe
that was cracked.  The carbon deposits in the pipes were also very thick.  I
haven't noticed any oil burning out of the tailpipe, so I'm not sure if
there is a problem or not.  Is it usual for there to be oil at the exhaust
ports?

Thanks again,
-Mike