Re: alfa-digest V8 #81 - Stuck transmission

       I agree with the comments about leaving the long studs in the block to
help with alignment.  I agree with putting a block of wood on a bottle jack
to tilt the engine (the motor mounts will flex enough that they do not need
to be loosened).  And I agree that the old adage "If it don't fit, get a
bigger hammer" does not work here.
       Do make sure you use a clutch alignment tool.  There is no good way to
center the clutch disk on an Alfa without one.  If the clutch is not
centered, the input shaft of the transmission may fit into the clutch disk,
but it will not go into the pilot bushing on the end of the crankshaft.  If
the alignment is close, putting the transmission in gear and rotating the
output shaft can help.
       On one transmission installation, I could not figure out what was
going on.  I finally pulled the pressure plate and tried to put the input
shaft from another transmission into the pilot bushing.  Turns out, I had
mushroomed the end of the pilot bushing when I replaced it.  The plastic
clutch alignment tool had enough slop that it would still fit into the
bushing.  It was tight, but not tight enough to tip me to the problem.  The
actual transmission input shaft would not go into the pilot bushing until I
drilled it back to the correct size.

       I like to grease all the moving clutch parts with wheel bearing
grease.  Wheel bearing grease is stiff so it stays in place and high temp so
it does not melt.  I put it in the pilot bushing, on the splines of the
transmission input shaft, inside the throw out bearing and on the throw out
fork fingers and pivot points.  Do not use too much grease as you do not want
it to fling off and get on the clutch facing.  In addition to lubing the
parts, it helps prevent rust.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City