Daily Driver

Finally - something I can weigh in on with confidence!

I have used my 1984 GTV6 as a near daily driver for over 8 years now, and
have accumulated 80,000 of its present  112,000 total (I am gaining on
your, Bernie!). In ALL that time, it has only failed me three times, and
those times were due to a dead battery. It has performed in ice and snow
and +100 degree/90% humidity, common in Virginia Beach, VA, without fail
(albeit I would appreciate a better AC unit). When I purchased it about 18
months was needed to sort out problems, mostly due to having not been
driven. But, once sorted by the excellent crew at Kraus and England in
Raleigh, it has been terrific.

Therefore, I would expect that the effort to keep the GTV6 running to be
much less that the far more complex 164. Regarding the Milano, it should be
the same except for the added complexity of power steering and the Verde's
ABS brakes. The issue about it being a hatchback vs. the more copious 164
or Milano has zero to do with the reliability of a daily driver - that is
personal preference and need.

There is an issue about which year GTV6 as the later ones had hardened
valve guides, hence lasting much longer before the inevitable valve job,
and '85 and later had a removable cross member which made Guido replacement
much easier. Remember, the 164 was introduced with the same awful hydraulic
belt tensioner - only later ones had the much better mechanical one. Also,
updated head gaskets and valve cover gaskets should by now be fitted to any
decently maintained Milano or GTV6. Two of our MAARC club members have
raced their GTV6s for several years with no failures and very little
required maintenance -these cars are strong!

My only real gripe about the GTV6 is the absolutely stupid gas strut that
is in the middle of the rear hatch, therefore eliminating any possibility
of putting tall objects in the trunk.

For me, a  big TWO thumbs up for the GTV6!

Bill Bean
84 GTV6