RE: Quaife ATB (for transaxle cars???)

Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:
> Subject: Quaife ATB (for transaxle cars???)

[deleted]
> So I contacted Quaife about it
> because I was curious, and it turns out that all they need is 25
> commited buyers and one stock differential and they'll start making
> them.  Prices range from $800-$1600 dollars (they make one for the
> 164 that's $945), so I suppose they tell you how much it'll cost when
> they get your stock dif.  Now I'm not in a position to commit to any
> $900 differentials at the moment, but I'm wondering if there aren't
> 25 potentially-interested GTV6/Milano/SZ (would the same dif fit
> 4-cyl cars?) owners out there already.
[deleted]

I was initially enthusiastic a couple of years ago about trying to
get Quaife to do something like this, but there are a couple of
practicalities that make it harder:

1) The Transaxle cars don't wheelspin under duresss anything like
   the 105 cars - hence don't need a limited slip diff as much.

2) The $900USD asking price is approximately the purchase price of
   an entire Alfetta.

If you're racing, or have a 3 litre under the bonnet, maybe it's
worthwhile but the majority of us (I think) would have a lot of trouble
justifying the expense.

Having said that, I did manage to get wheelspin on one wheel out of
a corner in Trusty the other day, and wished I had an LSD.  Was a very, very
bumpy corner and I was trying very hard.  However, I suspect that
the spider would have been facing the other way or under the same
circumstances, LSD or not.

dave.

1978 Alfetta GTV "trusty"
1975 Alfa Spider