Re: Stuck!

Eric,
	If you are using a dummy pilot tool to align the clutch disc, that
should be good enough.  Aligning the disc by feeling your way around the
pressure plate has been used by other Digesti, but I can't swear to it myself.
Have you put the transmission in gear and wobbled the output shaft while to push
to line up the splines?  Is the bellhousing parallel to the block now (you have
to start the transmission at a tilt to clear the tunnel but bring it parallel to
get the shaft into the crank bushing.)
	If you done all this here are two suggestions:
1)  I have found some of the splines on new discs are a  little rough.  Pull
your disc and transmission back out.  Now try to put the disc on the input shaft
by hand.  See how easy (or not) it slips on.  If you can't get it to go on by
hand, take a small file and knock off any rough spots on the disc spline.  Clean
up the input shaft with a wire brush too.  Sometimes it accumulates gunk.
Retest.  The disc should easily slide on to the input shaft without hesitation
or binding.

2)  Loosen the exhaust, fan shroud and enging mounts.  Allow the engine to drop
at the back until the pan rest on the crossmember.  This will improve clearance
and angle to get the transmission to mate up.

DON'T USE A HAMMER!!!!  (or we'll sic PapaFred on you!)

Good Luck,
Charlie
'89 Spider - doing my transmission this weekend!