RE: 115 axle seals

> I use a cheap "slide hammer" from Harbor Freight. This gadget has a
sliding
> weight that is slammed against a stop on the end of it's shaft,
transferring
> the pulling force to whatever one wants.  It is part of a simple body work
> kit, and has a threaded point attachment used to pull out damaged panels
> that can't be accessed from behind.  I have a simple 3/8 in. thick steel
> strap that is attached at one end to the pulling shaft, and another hole
is
> attached to a wheel stud with a lug nut. I have never had to use much
force
> to remove an axle, even though the pull is asymmetrical to the shaft. I do
> this every 2/3 years to dismantle the rear end to have the limited slip
> differential re-shimmed (the car is used for an extensive autocross
> schedule).

I bought a slide hammer from Consumer Auto Parts (CAP) that is intended
specifically for pulling axles - there are slots at varying angles on the
end that bolt to the wheel studs using the lug nuts.

This is easier to use than the factory special axle puller, which I also
have (although I may not be using it correctly).  I seem to remember buying
the slide hammer after Paul Glynn mentioned that it was easier to use than
the factory tool..

Fwiw,

bs