Rob's clutch problems

Hi Rob:

No one has yet mentioned this, as it may not happen very often, but not
knowing your Spider's history, here's my suggestion:

With someone else depressing the clutch pedal, and while you're under the
car, watch the transmission bell housing where it bolts to the engine.  If
any of those bolts are loose, the transmission will pull away from the
engine, and even with proper travel of the clutch slave piston, the clutch
will not disengage.  This happened on my '72 Spider many years ago, and it
took me a while to figure out.  If you're getting 12mm out of the slave,
that should be more than enough, and I'm under the impression that your
Spider is a "driver", so I also wouldn't guess that the clutch plate has
rusted to the flywheel.  You've got all the obvious stuff checked, so it's
time to look elsewhere, and maybe time to pull the transmission.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 2000 Spider Veloce