re: Milano smog questions

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:00:53 -0700
From: "Jeff Jensen" <jjensen@domain.elided>
Subject: Milano smog questions

Hi digesti,

My Milano failed smog miserably recently, with CO and HC readings that
were
both about 10x acceptable levels. Obviously not just a case of a dead
converter. So far I've done a basic tuneup- plugs, cap, rotor, O2
sensor,
timing belt and timing. This has improved the readings but not
sufficiently
to pass. I'm still a gross polluter.
...snip ...

OK, Jeff.  I'll bite.  Why do you categorically state that is is obvious
that your problem is NOT the catalytic gone to that great cat house in
the sky?  Charlie, are you listening?  Happened this way to him.

Confirm that the exhaust gas analysis ahead of the cat, say at the O2
sensor spot, is the same as it is after.  If the two reading are the
same, the cat isn't doing diddly for smog.  Just taking up room under
the car.

My tuppence.

Ciao

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California
76 Alfetta GT - with its own share of exhaust(ing) problems this week