Vintage Fred & John H's take on the Spica situation

Dunno why, but some Digests are considerably more enjoyable than others.

Fred's comment regarding the lower timing chain falls under, 'duh, why
didn't I think of or say that'"Cams must move in time with the
crankshaft. If you can't understand that, quick, put the cam cover back
on and take it to an expert Alfa guy!"

He goes on to offer help / comments on other subjects.

*********

John Hertzman brings up a very interesting Nazi / pre-Nazi (can one
still use those terms in this supposedly PC era?) Planes, Submarines,
Cars conspiracy.

Wow! And I thought the push-rod twin cam engine in my '50 Riley, which
was based on their '20 something engine, had long legs (not to mention,
stroke).

I'm rather inclined to agree with John regarding the 'total' life of
Spicas. They'll be around for awhile, but.... Anyone out there have
cubic yards of money they're wondering what to do with who want to go
into the manufacturing of Spica plungers / cylinders?

 As previously mentioned, my change to Webers with about 35k miles on
the car / Spica, resulted in seeing the oil (benzina) dipstick go from
full to Really Full. The car / engine had been carefully maintained from
the time I bought it with around 17k miles on the OD.

Question: What are the owners of German made vehicles (BMW / Porsche /
Mercedes?) doing which use similar type FI pumps? They don't wear out?
Ever?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA