low reading speedo

In a message dated 09/19/2001 12:50:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Here is my question......the speedo seems to be pretty accurate at low
> speeds say under 50, but for some reason it doesn't go beyond 80-85? I know
> for a fact that I was pacing other cars in 95-110 range on the straights but
> my speedo never read higher than 85. Help me out here -what's going on?
> Thoughts please.

That is a benefit, not a feature!

The speedo reads normally at speeds under 50 as an extra help to the driver
and to make its real purpose more credible, which is that when you are
driving the car at speed a nosy or nervous passenger will not glimpse the
true speed and panic.  You will be cruising along at 112 and momma in the
back will think you're doing about 80 and stick to her knitting and you can
concentrate on driving.

Ignorance is bliss.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA