spider heater valve

In a message dated 09/18/2001 1:56:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> 2) How much trouble is it to replace the heater valve so I get warm when I
> put the "heat" in the "on" position?  (It is September in Seattle, after
> all,
> so fall must be right around the corner.  Autumnal top-down touring
> requires
> heat in these parts.)

Do not take this as absolute gospel, but from my own experience when the
VALVE goes, hot water runs out on your right foot, a sure symptom.  If you
are not getting the hot foot, perhaps the problem is not the valve but the
mechanical connection of the slider control to the valve.

As far as how much trouble this would be to fix, I suppose it would have to
do with which end of the connection is no good and how much tolerance you
have for getting at things that are inside the console or inside/under the
dash.

I would rate it as PITA to get at anything under there but a few weeks of
yoga will probably help make the job easier.  Always pays to have the right
tools, such as a prehensile spine.

Best luck!

Charlie
Glad to be back in