re: RE-71s on Spiders

In my opinion, the RE-71 would be too much tire for any of the
older Spiders (I mean anything before the 90s). Not only is
it a heavy tire, but it has an incredibly stiff sidewall and is very
noisy. It's a great tire for a heavier car, though.

I switched from RE-71s (my favorite all-time street tire) to Dunlop
SPSport 8000 on my Audi Quattro only under duress; the RE-71s are being
phased out in my tire size. I have, and am lovingly addicted to,
Yokohama AVS Intermediates on my Spider. BTW, the SP Sport 8000, while
very popular among Quattro owners I know, is not identical to the RE-71
-- it doesn't have quite as stiff of a sidewall, and wears less well. It's
also not very pretty or clean-looking for a tire; the tread comes over the
shoulder and makes the profile look shorter and more aggressive than it
really is.

Tess
Seattle, WA USA

--