GTV-6 Steering Rack

Hello:

I think I have a shot steering rack on my GTV-6.  The first symptom was
some shimmy at speed when I would hit road irregularities.  Initially I
thought that it was the damper but it progressed rapidly to what I would
describe as "notchy" steering.  By this I mean that the steering has
become heavy even when moving and it does not return to center.  As one
initiates a turn (especially a right hander) the steering "sticks" and
then with further pressure gives way with a slight jolt and then has to
be physically steered back to neutral.

My questions are as follows:

Is this the steering rack, steering damper or both?  Will failure of one
cause the other to fail?  Can a steering rack be rebuilt?  How does one
determine if the problem is the steering rack?  Is removal and
disassembly the proper method?  If so where would one go for parts?
Finally, if this is a failed or failing rack is there a catastrophic
failure looming if I continue to drive it?  The car is becoming
increasingly difficult to drive, it has 225-15/50 tires and when they do
not return to center they tend to pull the car around rather harshly.

Finally, I have called around and not found replacement racks yet.  All
I have come across are PS racks for Milanos.  I have talked with one
digester with parts and I suspect if the rack is shot this (parting out)
is going to be the way to go.

Thanks in advance,

John,
'66 Duetto