random changes and ill-defined or non-existent quality control

In AD8-0047 Tom Callahan writes of his 1977 Alfetta coupe:

"This car is also equipped with NO holes in the bulkhead for accessing the top
shock nuts. Wanna know how fun those were to change out?

 "We've discussed before Alfa's ability to introduce changes randomly on the
production line, I'll bet this is one more instance where quality control was
ill-defined or non-existent.

 "I love my Alfas, mostly because of these type of characteristics. Imagine a
world where your best mate is exactly like you ..."

 Neither my 1976 Alfetta coupe parts car nor my 1979 Alfetta coupe parts car
have the holes which are missing from Tom's rear bulkhead, and the USA parts
books give just one parts numbers for all Alfetta coupe rear bulkheads
1974-1979. There are two for the sedans, different ones for the first and
second series cars.

 The "ability to introduce changes randomly on the production line" and the
"instance(s) where quality control was ill-defined or non-existent" are
recurring topics of perennial interest. I recognize random events at Zagato
(hardly a production line) and at Marazzi (ditto) and at Touring, early, and
at Bertone, also early, and at Pininfarina during the 750/101 transition and
the Giulietta/Giulia transition, but at Alfa proper - that is, at Alfa Romeo
SpA at Arese, where the 105 and later coupes and sedans were built ("nord", I
can't speak of Alfasuds) I would be curious about any "random changes" - that
is, changes which are not documented in the parts books with "up to - -" and
"from - -" numbers. I'm not talking about the Domino's Pizza boxes or the ouzo
(or sake) bottles (or tea-bags) found in the doors, or minor QC slips like
glue-drips or a burred head on a trim screw. Also not concerned about a parts
mismatch in a car on its fourth owner, or one which have been improved or
restored. Apart from those inherently uncertain cases it would be just very
interesting to compile a list of verifiable instances (or just one verifiable
instance) of random variations attributable to casual parts-flow management or
other quality control issues on the assembly line.

 I love my Alfas too, largely because of their highly predictable desirable
attributes. And I too prefer not to imagine a world where my mate is exactly
like me. Rather I cherish and enjoy the well-known and predictable differences
- -

 Cordially,

John H.