Re: okay a real question this time..

Hi again, Kyle:

Paul Spruell  has OEM Sachs clutch kits on sale for $169.

http://www.paulspruell.com/parts/parts.html

Short of a full-race setup, Sachs is the only brand to buy and I'm not sure
if the IAP kit you mention is Sachs, or from one of IAP's famous
"OEM-quality" manufacturers.  I can tell you that last year I bought a
clutch kit from IAP, and at the time was specifically told this was an OEM
Sachs kit (I had commented on the good price).  What I received was a
cheap, no-name knock-off of dubious quality, but I had to get the car on
the road and was stuck with what I received.  I should have learned my
lesson the first time, but a few months later got the same deal on a head
gasket set, which I probably don't need to say, has still gone unused.  We
all know the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on
me".

Sorry that I can't comment on the HD pressure plate, but I'm sure someone
at Paul Spruell can give you a straight answer, as might many of our fellow
Digesters.

At 11:55 PM 9/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:28:39 +0000
>From: "Kyle Chenier" <klyde67@domain.elided>
>Subject: okay a real question this time..
>

>also, i'm replacing my clutch soon. any advice? IAP's 99-00 catalog pg49
>lists a complete kit for $229, or with heavy-duty pressure plate for $293. i
>don't race much, although i street-drive "like a maniac" (which i find odd
>since it doesn't match my diagnosis). is the heavy-duty one worth the extra
>money? anything else i should probably replace at the same time? is the
>"cluth alignment tool" on pg53 worth the $2.50? (i am not a cheap alfa
>owner!) i've removed/replaced the tranny myself before, and the mount is in
>good shape.
>
>oh yeah.... any warnings?
>
>kyle
>'87 spider with all sorts of weird crap