Re: Australian Traffic ?

Thomas,

>> PS Tony
>> You live in Australia. You have fewer cars in your
>> country than we have in afternoon traffic. And yes
>> it is a US perception, but that is the market we
>> are talking about.

With all due respect, might one ask what your
experience with afternoon traffic in Oz might be? What
cities, perhaps?

For the record, Sydney is Australia's largest city,
and with a population of around 6 million people would
in be larger than most US cities.

While the larger US centres are certainly larger - the
LA basin's population exceeds that of the whole of
Australia - once one gets beyond the LA basin and the
San Francisco Bay area, each of Sydney and Melbourne
would be larger than other Californian cities.

The greater Sydney region is roughly equivalent in
size and population to the DFW area, and having lived
in both areas, I can tell you that the traffic
management, and road system (such as it is) is far
worse in Sydney than it is in Dallas.

And, having driven in a number of different cities in
this world of ours (NY, Boston, London, Milan, LA, SF,
to name several) I can tell you that although IMHO the
worst drivers might be in Boston, the worst traffic is
right here, in Sydney, where the roads are too narrow,
the freeways go nowhere, and the police have taken
revenue raising from speeding and red light cameras to
an art form!

Fortunately, I have a selection of Alfa from which I
can choose how to spend my time in said worst traffic.

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@domain.elided
http://redbacksWeb.com