Re: Y?

Not to kick a dead mule into a pulp over this ongoing spelling discussion
but with regards to Jano, Yugoslavia is indeed spelt with a J as in
Jugoslavia in Italian. J is used very little but it does crop up sometimes -
in particular in names where Juventus jumps to mind. The J is also known
waaay back from Latin where it made an occasional appearance and upon which
modern Italian is arguably based.

Also the Haagen Daasz marketing people must have been eating way too much of
that rhum-raisin ice cream when they came up with the spelling of the
company name - or at least with regards to the allusion to Danish. No
'umlaut' is used in the Danish language (or alfabet) but rather three fairly
unique letters f,x,e (also used in Norwegian, but Norwegian is just a sort
of childish Danish :-P) which essentially are the same as d and v with e
being a replacement for a former aa (double a - see my sig). It is certainly
true that the marketing people were trying to come up with something
European and I too have heard the reference to Danish with Czech thrown in
for good measure but they got it as wrong as possible.

Hope the characters make it to the list.

Regards

Jacob Haagerup,
Rotterdam, Netherlands (Danish ex-pat)
'75 GT 1600 Jr 'M'