Improper English

In V8 #33 Joe Elliot exclaims, "Thank you Fred!!  As the word RIM has
gained increasing acceptability as a synonym for WHEEL over the last few
years I've become increasingly aggravated but refrained from saying
anything for fear of sounding like a stooge.  Thank you also for
stressing the importance of spelling homophones correctly.
I wouldn't have refrained from ranting about
that, but I was too busy doing homework.

*********

(Sigh). While it killed me worse than reading the instructions before
assembling, I looked up 'wheel' in my 1964 Webster's New World
dictionary.

The definition is quite lengthy (never knew it was the refrain of a
song). However, the first and most appropriate definition to wheel where
we're concerned is: 1. a solid disk, or a circular frame connected by
spokes to a central hub, capable of turning on a central axis and used
to move vehicles or transmit power in machinery.

I feel the key word here is 'used'. I suspect the majority feel 'used'
in our context implies 'used in conjunction with tires'.

I prefer ('cause I'm stubborn and it still makes sense to me), to
interpret 'used' as 'that's itthe whole enchilada including tires'.

And should you agree a 'complete' wheel constitutes 'a solid disk, or a
circular frame connected by spokes to a central hub' Along with a tire
in order to 'move a vehicle'what should the portion retaining the tire
to the
hub then be called?

********

In Fred's reply to my original "As The Lug Nut Turns" he noted: "And
while I'm at it, To, too, two, then, than, route, rout, on and on poor
spelling and usage of words is confusing, to say the least.

Homophones. Well, Young Master Elliot, you also forced me to look up
that word. (1. any of two or more letters having a sound in common as c
and s. 2. a homonym ).

I'm quite sure I was either sick that day or the dog ate my homework.
That said, two is a givenit's a number. To and too are a bit more
elusive, yet I feel I generally get it right.

My (apparent) error was to write, "Brian Shorey (I'm visualizing him in
the Digest confessional with a slight tail between his legs) commenting
that he to (too?) uses anti seize on his wheel studs."

Doesn't make it okay, but I was pointing out that I was keenly aware
'to' might not be the correct (ahem) homonym.

Would I then stoop to tell an icon the correct spelling of anti seize /
anti-seize is Not anti-seez? Unfortunately, since I'm merely a smart-ass
aging whupper-snapper...I'm afraid I would.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA