Subject: Spider won't pass smog. (Fwd)

You may have something here.  I did notice a slight ticking noise from
thetop of the engine yesterday.  But wouldn't that suggest a loose valve,
and aren't burned valves caused by the clearance being too tight?

I'll check compression today.

James
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: "charles.slayman" <Charles.Slayman@domain.elided>

James,
I doubt O2 sensor or catalytic converter malfunction would cause readings
that severe.  I had the same problem twice with my '89 Spider.  Both times
turned out to be a burned exhaust valve.  With a burned valve, you get some
of
the unburned mixture pumped into the exhaust during the compression cycle.
This will send the HC and CO off the chart.  So check compression first.
It's
cheaper than replacing the O2 sensor or catalytic converter unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Charlie S
'89 Spider