Spica air box question

Today I picked up a very nice Spica air box for my Spider and have a
couple questions. This box has a butterfly valve in the air horn which
looks to be controlled by vacuum, plus it also has what appears to be
an air temperature sensor in the box itself, mounted on the lower side
of the box. I'm wondering about the purpose of these two items. I don't
think they are meant to be used on my '74 but am still curious about
what they were for.

Thanks a lot,

Ed
Loveland, CO.