re: Oil Consumption (Alfa vs VW)

Tim Hancock wrote:

"David Johnsons comments about Alfas being run out of oil and wrecking their engines is interesting to the extent that many car owners expect a sump full to last 10,000 miles from their experience with Japanese cars. What you may
not appreciate is that VW had exactly the same problem and fitted a low oil buzzer to alert drivers. My 1987 Golf GTI 8V did not have one, but used oil, but my chum who bought a 16Valve Golf GTI the same year ran it out of oil twice wondering what all the buzzing noises were (he is not mechanically alert and thought it was a headlight alarm or something)"

Ironically my wife's Passat has one of these gizmos too.  I was going to mention it but Tim beat me to it!  According to the manual, the one in the Passat operates on oil pressure rather than level.  The buzzer sounds if the pressure drops below a threshold, which is somewhat higher than the idiot light triggers at IIRC.  One is typically alerted to low oil on hard cornering, which results in the pump being starved for oil as it sloshes in the tank.  Thus I tend to notice the problem first due to a predilection for hard cornering!  I believe a light comes on too, but I hardly ever see it because I'm trying to stay on the road at the time (they should make it stay on until the motor is switched off, like the low coolant light does).

The device is very effective and difficult to ignore.  The first time I encountered it it scared the bejeezus out of me and I spent some time poring through the owners manual at the side of the road until I figured out what it was, upon which I headed for the nearest gas station for supplies.  I have since found that the buzzer actually gives plenty of warning long before engine damage ensues.  The car has now surpassed 130,000 miles and the engine is as smooth as ever.  So I would certainly applaud the fitting of such a device to the 156 and other voracious oil consumers, as it really does prevent ignorant owners (such as myself) from killing the engine prematurely.  Wish I had one on my Milano, although at least the oil pressure gauge notified me of the low oil condition, again on hard cornering.  When I finally diagnose the Verde's top-end tapping problem maybe I'll know if it wasn't to late.  Incidentally, my Camaro, a vehicle which suffers regular derogatory comments on t!
!
his forum, burns almost no oil, even though it is of the ultra thin 5W30 variety.  Hmmm...

Dave J.
Alfas and 'mericun iron (hey at least the heads are Al!)