Wheels, etc.

I have a question regarding the proper terminology for wheels. Fred has
made it clear, the proper terminology is "Wheels".

Jim Steck, who works on pre-'35 rims, somewhat differs, and is obviously
coming from a different point-of-view.

I just checked Centerline's informative page in their catalog called "A
Bit About Tires and Wheels". The reason I checked was to find the proper
term for the center portion of what they and Fred call the wheel. The
closest term I can find is "hub mounting face". However, they're trying
to orient one as to measuring offset.

My excuse: Just as Jim Steck comments that one of the first things he
does with a new customer is clarify terminology, I needed to do the same
for myself.

Many years ago I felt various terms were confusing and certainly
overlapped, so made up my own terms (not for the first time in my life).
I'll also admit I've been using them so long, I've begun to feel they
are the correct terms.

My invented terms are as follows:

(1) Tire. The outer round portion which is made up of (among other
things) a rubber like compound. It might, but seldom in 2001, contains
an inner tube.

(2) Rim. The metal center portion which the tire mounts to. Yes, I'm
aware decades ago automotive spokes were made of wood. And yes, I'm
aware some 'rims' are being made of various other materials. Point
being, I'm using the term 'metal' in a general wayjust as I'm aware the
rim is the outer portion which the tire mounts to, and therefore am
using the term 'rim' in a general (and admittedly only partially
correct) way.

(3) Wheel. This is a combination (mounted together) of a tire and rim.

My thinking lo those many years ago was that neither a rim nor a tire
functions as a wheel by itself. Therefore 'wheel' was the proper term
for a combination tire and rim.

While I'll admit 'my' terminology is just that, I'll continue using it
because I feel it is the clearest set of terms for the three separate
situations (as outlined above). E.g., "I just removed the left front
wheel from my car, then took it to a shop so they could install a new
tire on the rim."

Had I said, "I removed the tire from my car." That would (should, in my
opinion) imply I used tire irons and removed the tire from the rim.

Had I said, "I just had a new set of tires installed on my car." One
might ask (although most likely wouldn't), "On the roof? If not, exactly
where on the car?" Another tomatoes / tomotoes. I'd say, "On the rims."

Should someone come up with a One word term which obviously makes it
patently clear to Everyone, one is talking about a combination tire and
rim, only then will I begin calling the rim a wheel.

Checking a Tire Rack ad they mention, "Our Tire and Wheel Packages...".
Obviously I'm in the minority. Obviously 'their' term is far from being
one concise word. (Not that I'm noted for conciseness).

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA