rims, tires, & wheels

>Biba, and all Digesti, I remember very clearly as a young boy some 80 years
>ago and up until recent years, WHEELS had RIMS.  I have not seen a rim in
>ages so am I incorrect saying no motor vehicles, cars as we know them today
>do not wear RIMS?   A wheel is a wheel and NOTHING else!  Let's call parts
>by their right names

my .03 cents (adjusted for inflation):

you got rims,
you got tires,
you got rims+tires=a wheel (as a whole).

reason for this is if someone was to ask you for a wheel..do you bring the
metal rim or do you bring the whole thing with tire attached? I even call the
Alfa alloys i have "rims" and the tires "tires" and if im referring to the
whole thing i will call it a wheel. The "rims" you referred to are the old
"demountable" rims that are STILL used on large trucks to this day..
the word "rim" has always meant "the surrounding metal that holds the tire"
even if modern rims include the "hub" it is still technically a rim. so there
ya go..the correct names for the parts..  :)  speaking of "rims" does anyone
know the weights of the Alfa "spider" turbina alloy and the stock steel with
center hubcap?

Keith S.
73 spider (that has steel "rims")