Re: Uprating the cooling for older Spiders

Ed, before doing anything real expensive, I'd be tempted to take the rad
out of the car and give it to a radiator shop to clean.
My '74 spider (2 L) ran pretty warm for the first few years I had it (not
quite as hot as you indicate but close and despite the normal assumptions
many people make about Canada the climate where I am is very hot in the
summer-- +38C is not uncommon although we don't have the mountain slopes).
Eventually my rad developed a small leak and instead of paying the
exhorbitant cost of importing a new rad, I got the local rad shop to look
at it. They pulled the headers off and rodded it clean for about $100 and
the spider runs cooler now (max about 198F) and I'm expecting it to last
quite a while longer. That beat the hell out of paying $400 US for a rad
plus the cost of shipping and duty. The rad I've still got is copper as
well, and I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I had switched.

FWIW, that's my 2 cents

Hugh
Medicine Hat