Spyder, Spider

Hi all

I'm not sure how the term "Spyder" got transferred to Italian cars, as
Paul points out, the term originated with Porsche around 1953. I'm not
aware of an earlier usage than the Porsche 550 Spyder, 1953.

Certainly by 1956/57 _Autocar_ was referrign to the Fiat 1100
convertible as "Spyder", along with the Cisitalia 1250, various Alfa
Romeos and other Italian drop-tops.

Hope that is of some use :-/

Ciao

--
Zak McGregor        http://www.carfolio.com - Over 7900 car specs online
Web mercenary - currently for hire. Perl/html/.js/sql/cgi/GNUlinux/php +