Maserati "Spyder"

Two weeks ago, I was dropping my son and his friends at the movies in
Tiburon (the town that Hundai used to launch their Tiburon car, though
the car and this most expensive of all towns in the US to buy a house in
have nothing in common). I turned into the quaint tourist street where
the theatre is and came face to face with two of the new Maserati
Spyders. They were coming at me in both lanes of this 2-way street while
a photographer with a very elaborate 35mm camera snapped publicity shots
of the cars. About a dozen people in blue Maserati polo shirts were
running around, busily talking in Italian. I pulled to the side and
stared at the cars. The Maserati folks stared at my 164. When the cars
passed, I noticed that where the new-for-the-US-market pie-slice
taillight assemblies should be, there was much duct tape covering the
gapping hole with a 360 Modena taillight stuffed right in the middle. I
imagined there was a supplier somewhere getting angry calls from
Maserati. Curiously, right around the corner, several more gentlemen in
Maserati shirts were busy polishing a new Porsche 911 cabriolet. What do
you suppose that was about?

Rich Lasner
92 164S
98 Maserati 3200 Coupe (1:18 scale Burago model)
ARA
AROC
Mill Valley CA