re: Hot Starts

Tom writes:
> I only suggested the AAD as a possible contributing factor because I had
> some warm start trouble before I freed up a sticking plate inside the unit.
> If the AAD is sticking closed during a cold-start, the idle may drop to the
> point the engine dies.  If your idle speed is set too low to begin with,
> this may cause a starting problem as it did in my car.  I think when the car
> cooled down overnight, the bi-metallic actuator was able to overcome the
> sticking plates and open up the bypass.

	My '86 Spider had a very hard problem when starting hot a few years
back.  The AAD was pointed at as being a likely culprit (after I
confirmed that gas did spurt out of the cold-start valve).  I have
several books on Bosch FI and went thru a few checks of the AAD - froze
it in the freezer, sizzled it in the sun to determine the opening of the
disc.  All seemed to be normal according to the pictures in the books.
A fellow owner of Spider foolishly swapped AADs with me one day and my
car started every time, cold or hot - even idled better.  His car
started running like mine did - we swapped them back the next day.

	IAP did offer them as new but the price was over $200 and none were in
stock.  I bought one from APE (make sure that you give them the model
number off you old unit for you might get a AAD for a GTV6 which will
not work).  The replacement has solved all my hard start problems.

	Bruce

	'86 Spider
	'73 GTV