re 164 DIN stereo install

>From: Karl Robrock <robrock@domain.elided>
>Subject: 164 stereo installation
>sorry to post about this, but I purchased a mounting kit for a single DIN
>stereo for a Chrysler New Yorker, since it has the same stereo, and I
>assumed it mounted the same.
>I was wrong.
>Can anyone who has installed a single DIN stereo in a 164 give me some
>leads on how to find the mounting plate?
>It's all wired and ready to go, I just need to get it to bolt in!
>thanks,
>Karl
>'91 164?

Hi Karl,

Here's my advice based on my install.  I picked up a Chrysler/GM DIN install
kit at Radio Shack for about $15. Throw away all instructions since none of
them apply.  Start looking at the pieces and trying to puzzle them together
in a way that will be secure.  I wish I could explain exactly what I did but
can't.  I ended up using one of the optional L-brackets to attach the right
lower edge of the new DIN-sized mounting plate to the console and a screw
through the left side of the DIN plate to the console.  The left side of the
plate fits into the 164 console's slot, as I recall - it's just the right
side that doesn't have much to mount to.  You'll find you absolutely MUST
arrange a proper bracket to hold up the back of your new radio because the
DIN mounting plate just won't be *that* solid.  I had to redo the
'professional' install in my wife's S because they just had the CD player
hanging from the DIN-sized plate.

Keep fiddling with it and you'll figure out a way to shore it up.  Mine
looks great and is very solid but it took a while to get it that way.

Good luck,
Chris Lesher
Boulder CO