Re: Sandro, etc

Thank you, Sandro, for your Fiat Auto P**p list!!  I thought no one
else noticed the misspelling of Agnelli (Papa Agnelli, by the way,
has the same birthday as my ex-girlfriend).  That post was the first
time since I've been in college that I've laughed out loud at the
Alfa Digest--now my roommate really thinks I'm weird.

For fear of getting my own name added to Sandro's list, I'm not going
to comment extensively on the following quote, but I think it might
offer some insight to FIAT's previous failures in the USA:
(Excerpted from Autoweek magazine, 08/27/01)
<<from FIAT's VP of corporate communications, when asked how the
Italian and American systems work together (re: the GM/FIAT stock
swap and associated working-together-stuff):
"At our first big meeting, GM's head of public relations tells us
they have about 600 people working PR.  Well, once we finally
included all of our secretaries and delivery people, we came up with
a padded total of 50 on our side.  In reality, we've only got five,
maybe six for the whole world.">>

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the Middle East at all, but
something tells me the overpowered and otherwise entirely shitty
American family cars from the late '60s and early '70s that someone
thought might be desirable are desirable only in the USA, which was
what the original poster said.  These cars are probably what Luca and
his countrymen would refer to as "craps."  Also, wouldn't an *AC*
Shelby Cobra be a British-branded car? ;)

Joe Elliott
(who will be graduating from college in 2005, from a school that had
3 of its mechanical engineering graduates hired by FIAT last year...)