Re: Spider gearbox capacity?

Hi Val:

Just drained and refilled my '74 a few weeks ago.  To the bottom edge of
the filler plug took just over 2 qts, perhaps by an extra 8 oz or so.

The box had been filled with 90 wt Mobil 1, and it always felt like crap,
even with every shift double-clutched.  I replaced the oil with Kendall 70
wt motor oil (called Nitro 70).  It took about a week or so for all the
hypoid additive slime to wear off the synchro's, but now it feels just like
an Alfa box should.  If you had just charged me $1000 for a rebuild,. but
had only just changed the oil and not told me, I would have gladly written
the check.  Every shift is quick and smooth, even upshifts into 2nd.  Many
years ago, I went through this same thing with an XKE I owned and was
reminded of the Kendall by reading that someone at the national convention
had used 50 wt motor oil in the transaxle of his GTV6.  I personally
wouldn't use motor oil in any transaxle, as I think you'd be begging for
ring and pinion (and limited slip mechanism) troubles without the hypoid
additive, but I can't forsee any problems in a gearbox.

At 09:09 AM 9/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:57:07 -0700
>From: "valdanilov" <valdanilov@domain.elided>
>Subject: Spider gearbox capacity?
>
>Anyone knows offhand how much oil it takes to fill a Spider gearbox?
>
>Val
>Seattle
>"74 Spider

Regards,