Re: Weird crank ringnut

In AD8-0009 Chris Kane writes:
"After exhaustive discussions with Les Singh, NZ's "Mr Alfa", I think the
digest might be interested in this one. And maybe somebody can put me out of
my misery with an answer. The Situation: etc etc etc.

John H answer about the half ring retainers is correct and this is the
normal situation.

Additionally I will add that if you want to remove the flywheel while the
motor is assembled one must make 4 tools. The tools are fabricated by
removing the head from the bolt that holds the flywheel on (need some used
parts here) and cut a slot in the end where the head of the bolt used to
reside using a hack saw. To use, remove 4 bolts holding the flywheel on
(every other one) and leave 4 in. Now insert the tool (stud with a slot in
it) into the hole and use a flat blade screwdriver to screw it into the
retaining flange. Repeat for 4 places. Now remove the other four bolts and
the flywheel will slip off leaving the 4 studs to hold the retaining
flange. To replace the flywheel just slip it over the studs and then
replace 4 bolts. Remove the studs and replace the last 4 bolts. Be sure to
use new lock tabs and dont forget to bend them after torquing the flywheel
bolts.